GET SNAPPY – GAUAHAR KHAN: “For Me, It Is An Award When A Director Calls Me Up...”



Making us go Wallah on her foot-tapping numbers, actor, dancer and model Gauahar Khan surely knows how to get the temperature soaring. A true performer, she knows the tricks of the trade and makes every moment onscreen absolutely memorable. In a freewheeling chat, the actor opens up about her recent role as Rubina in Begum Jaan, her thought process behind her characters onscreen, life and more. Read on...   Words Sharbani Mukherjee
In spite of being so talented, why do you choose to do selected projects?
Honestly, I don’t have an answer for that. It’s not like I am rejecting stuff. But it is not like I am getting offered something which is irresistible. I would want to be offered more substantial roles, my talent is out there. I have only worked with credible directors, credible scripts, great co-actors. I think it is all about timing. As for me, hard work is the only way which has got me so far, and I believe, that is the path someone like me has to take. I am not a part of a clan or belong to any filmi background. But despite that, if I have managed to do films with the Yash Raj Banner, Balaji Telefilms, Vishesh films, Excel Entertainment, now Dharma production. I hope that bigger and better things happen to me.
From modelling to acting, how has your journey been?
Modelling is something which happened to me after Miss India. I got noticed and picked up by top choreographers. Of course, I was a top line model and I enjoyed that but I knew that I had more in me. It used to be really frustrating when the performer in me wasn’t fully happy with what I was doing. The breakthrough happened when Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa contacted me. And the first audition call from Yash Raj came right after the first episode of Jhalak. The transition has been overwhelming and satisfying, I feel blessed to be able to do the kind of work I am doing. I am just living my dream each day. For me, it is an award when a director calls me up, even if it is for a special appearance, and when I ask, why do you want me for this role, they just tell me that we won’t find any other actor to do it. That for me is very reassuring that good work will get you to a place you want to be at.
How was it working with Vidya Balan in Begum Jaan?
 It was great and Vidya is a dream to work with! And working with her is something that I demanded from Allah. I knew that this is something that I wanted in my life and it happened. When I was in Umrah and it was the last day of my prayers, I remember coming out of the masjid and getting a message from Vidya, in which she directly mentioned that there is this role of Rubina and both she and the director felt that it would be perfect for me. It is one of my biggest roles, not only because I got to work with Vidya and Shoojit sir but also for the critical acclaim that I got. Vidya is a fabulous human being and an amazing co-star and I have Iearned a lot from her. I hope to work with her in the future as well.
Who is your role model?
I don’t have a role model as I feel that I am not following anybody’s path. But my inspiration to become an actor was Rekhaji, I was in love with her when I first saw her in Khoobsoorat of course, and Rishi Kapoorji in Rafoo Chakkar.
Tell us about the projects you are working on currently.
I am doing a lot of auditions right now but haven’t signed anything post Begum Jaan. I have already started work on a webseries of international format but can’t reveal it as of now. Apart from that, I’ve recently launched my own fashion line, Gauaharjeous, which is something I am very proud of. 

Comments