GET SNAPPY – ARBAAZ KHAN: “I’m Not Really Looking At Making My Career Right Now As A Romantic Hero”


In a candid conversation with Khushboo Tiwari, ARBAAZ KHAN insists he feels fortunate to still find work in the industry, and why Dabangg 3 is one significant project for him and more…
What are the other genres you plan to work on next?
I’m not really looking at making my career right now as a romantic hero. Yeh ho gaya ek aad baar toh ho gaya, chalein ya nahi chalein jaise bhi hai ya fir ho sakta hai ek aad baar aur koi film mil jaye. Every romantic hero’s career gets over at this stage and main toh shuru kar raha hoon. So for me hoping that my career begins as a romantic hero now is a bit far-fetched. I’m practical that way. Sunny Leone was one of the reasons I did Tera Intezaar.
How has the journey been in the industry?
Not really all that great. I was maybe a little lazy or probably, I didn’t have the drive. Also, you have to accept that everybody can’t have what a Salman Khan has, that little extra ‘X’ factor. Be it Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Akshay Kumar or any other top actor, they have something different in them and that is the reason they have survived in this industry since more than 20 years, giving a tough competition to all the newcomers even today.  But for me as an actor, I feel you may give your best but that might not be good enough for certain projects or people. I feel I did my best at certain times but there have been times that I could have done better.
You lost out on interesting projects…
When I did Daraar for Abbas-Mastan, they had approached me for Khiladi and I was to do Akshay’s role. In fact, they were very keen on me doing it. However, I had signed another film whose dates were clashing with Khiladi. And they couldn’t wait, so they signed Akshay and ironically, the film for which I left Khiladi was never made and Khiladi became a success.
Dabangg’s next franchise is in the pipeline. But why the gap of seven years since the second sequel? What has changed in the process of filmmaking?
Dabangg’s franchise has been much loved. For now, we are ideating on the story and more on the characters and like I said, we have Prabhudheva on board for direction. He is a very stylish and efficient director, he will definitely do a good job.
Coming from a filmi background, you do have a detailed knowledge of what kind of films work nowadays. What according to you plays a bigger role - a good script, the content, star cast or anything else?
It’s always the script. Very rarely will you see that a star cast has pulled through a very ordinary film - and that maybe happens only in the peak of somebody’s career. For instance, there might be weak films in Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh or Bachchan sahab’s career which they pulled off due to their stardom and even then also it wouldn’t be a blockbuster or an iconic film. It might just about cover the coss. 

Comments